The ADX® abort damper is the last line of defence against fires and explosions coming from a dust collection system. The damper's main function is to prevent the risk of fire within a work environment.
With the aim of ensuring the safety of staff and equipment, it is essential for an abort damper to be present if you meet the following two conditions:
- The clean air stream exiting a dust collection system is recirculated inside the building.
- The particles filtered by the dust collector are pyrophoric.
In accordance with standards NFPA 654, 652, 664, and 72, the ADX® abort damper quickly diverts the air outside the building in the event that a spark is detected.
How it Works
1. The contaminated air from the work stations is directed to the dust collector.
2. A spark detection sensor identifies sparks and burning embers in the intake duct.
3. The spark causes an explosion when in the presence of a concentration of pyrophoric dust in the dust collector’s chamber.
4. The pressure generated by the explosion makes its way through the clean air system and is diverted by the damper.
5. The blast is released safely outside.
6. The indoor work environment is protected from a fire or explosion coming from the clean air return duct of the dust collection system.
The ADX® series abort damper is equipped with a lever arm that controls the flap valve in two different positions.
During normal operating conditions, the door stays in a horizontal position, thus allowing the air stream to be directed into the building.
To activate the damper in abort mode, a spark detection sensor is configured to send a signal to the damper. When the sensor, located upstream of the dust collector, detects a spark or burning ember, it sends a signal to release the electro-mechanical latch. The flap valve then quickly falls into the abort position to relieve the pressure from the explosion into the outside atmosphere.
Mechanical latch type has been replaced by an electromagnet system to avoid risk failure as well as extend components lifespan.
The general design of the series was completely reconsidered. The damper assembly is now fully bolted rather than welded in order to provide a reliable solid construction.
Simplified Damper Reset
|B ||C||C1||D||E||ø Shaft||Square |
|ADX12||41||1041||23 1/2||597||23 1/4||591||25 1/2||648||40 1/2||1029||22||559||3/4||19||13||330|
|ADX18||54 1/2||1384||35||889||29 1/4||743||31 1/2||800||56 1/2||1435||28||711||3/4||19||20||508|
|ADX22||55||1397||43||1092||33 1/4||845||37 1/2||953||59 1/4||1505||32||813||1||25||24||610|
|ADX24||59 1/2||1511||47||1194||35 1/4||895||37 1/2||953||65||1651||34||864||1||25||27||686|
|ADX28||68 1/2||1740||55||1397||39 1/4||997||41 1/2||1054||73 1/2||1867||38||965||1||25||32||813|
|ADX32||77 1/2||1969||63||1600||45 1/4||1149||46 1/4||1175||84||2134||43 1/2||1105||1 1/4||32||36||914|
|ADX36||86 1/2||2197||71 1/8||1807||49 1/4||1251||50 1/4||1276||90 3/4||2305||47 1/2||1207||1 1/4||32||40||1016|
|ADX40||86 1/2||2197||78 1/8||1984||53 1/4||1353||54 1/4||1378||91 3/4||2331||51 1/2||1308||1 1/2||38||45||1143|
|ADX48||115 1/2||2934||92 1/8||2340||61 1/4||1556||62 1/4||1581||122||3099||59 1/2||1511||1 1/2||38||54||1372|
|ADX54||115 1/2||2934||104 1/8||2645||67 1/4||1708||68 1/4||1734||122 1/8||3102||65 1/2||1664||2||51||60||1524|
|ADX60||115 1/2||2934||110 1/8||2797||73 1/4||1861||74 1/4||1886||122 1/8||3102||71 1/2||1816||2||51||66||1676|